Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sidney Sheldon ~ 1917 - 2007

Lately I haven’t been doing any reading or anything productive. I just hang around and waste my time doing no good for me or people around me. But I used to be one of those whod take a torch to bed. In those good ol times, Sidney Sheldon was one of my favourite writers, althought I thought he was a woman for more than a year lol. No surprise cause I never knew a man named Sidney. ‘The Naked Face’ was one of the books I could read a million times again and again and never get done with the job. So accordingly I really thought highly of him. He was a writer who really knew what the reader expects and keep the reader interested for hours. A spell should I say. He aimed each chapter to create curiosity to the next."I try to construct them so when the reader gets to the end of a chapter, he or she has to read just one more chapter. It's the technique of the old Saturday afternoon serial: Leave the guy hanging on the edge of the cliff at the end of the chapter." He was undeniably an amazing writer.

Well, I have not proved myself as a loyal fan. Like three days back, I was having a casual conversation on books, angels and demons with my friend maalik. And he came up with the did you know question. That’s when I found out good ol’ Sheldon was dead like a month back.. It really hit me with surprise. Cause I somehow believed that He’d live forever. I felt Guilty, sad, disappointed in myself and all that mixture of emotions I thought..I really should watch the news everyday !

Sheldons Life
Sidney Sheldon was a successful and creative writer who was one of the most inspired writers of all times.He died at the age of 89 of complications from pneumonia at the Eisenhower medical center in rancho mirage, near his palm springs home

He was born February 11 1917 in Illinios, Chicago, He sold his very first poem at the age of 10 there. And sold his first script at 17. After that he started as script reader at major studios, and then had three Broadway musical hits by the age of 25.

He served as a pilot during world war two. After that he started working as a prolific writer on broadway, winning a tony ward for the musical Redhead. His big break came fiver years later in 1948. He won an academy award for his original screen play “The bachelor and the bobby soxer”

He was a great screenwriter.So In 1963 he turned into the television industy as a screen writer in patty duke show. He wrote almost every episode of The Patty Duke Show for seven years which surely could be a record of some kind Nowadays, a team of writers work on a hit tv show. he won a Tony, an Oscar and an Emmy (for "I Dream of Jeannie") during his career.in 1964 His hit shows included The Patty Duke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, and Hart to Hart. Unlike other novelists who worked over typewriters or computers, he dictated 50 pages a day to a secretary or a tape machine. He corrected the pages the following day, continuing the routine until he had 1,200 to 1,500 pages."Then I do a complete rewrite -- 12 to 15 times," he said. "I spend a whole year rewriting."

Working as a screenwriter at both MGM and Paramount Pictures, Sheldon went on to write 25 films Sheldon became distinguished in Hollywood, television and Broadway theatres before he made his way to fiction at the age of 50. With his first fictional novel ‘The Naked Face’he reached the top of the bestseller lists reaching the top of the bestseller lists with his first novel.

Sheldon became a recognized american in the 1970s. Some of his notable novels include "The Other Side of Midnight" and "Bloodline," "If Tomorrow Comes”, "Rage of Angels,” Several of his novels became television miniseries and bestsellers. He published 18 novels and sold 300 million copies. Translations into 71 languages in 180 countries won him a listing in "The Guinness Book of Records" as "the world's most translated author." in 2005, he wrote his most recent novel his memoir "The Other Side of Me" in which he offered a rare glimpse into the lives of stars like Grant and Garland.

Sheldon wrote for theatres movies and televivsion. Even so, he always had another notion, for a different novel. "Writing novels is the most fun I've ever had," Shelden had said. "When you do a novel you're on your own. It's a freedom that doesn't exist in any other medium." It was definitely something he loved. Most of his writings consists of strong women who triumph. After facing the complexity of the world full of cruel men. I like to write about women who are talented and capable, but most important, retain their femininity," he said. "Women have tremendous power - their femininity, because men can't do without it."

Sheldon was a child born during the depression to parents. He dropped out of school in third grade and hardly had a chance to read books. Sheldon had said that he considered his writing success somewhat of a miracle. He was indeed meant to be a writer

Sheldon is survived by his wife, Alexandra, a daughter, Mary – also an author 2 grandchildren& a brother Richard the family did not give details of funeral arrangements, but said a "celebration of his life" will be held at a date to be determined.

He wasn’t just another great writer. He was the amazing writer. The world will find no other replacement for this missing piece. "I've lost a longtime and dear friend," Cowan said. "In all my years in this business, I've never heard an unkind word said about him.”He should have lived 12 more days and died 90 ;)

3 comments:

shweetikle said...

hey inan..u have a certificate..u can get it from blog..u can post it in ur blog so that everyone can see it! =D

Anonymous said...

nicely brought peice of writing...i like it..:)
and the template too, jus love it :D

Inan said...

keke thanks freek.. I ll try to keep up to your expectations.. :) shweeet!! my gal.. i ll be sure to make that my next post ;)